Garden Route Horse Trails offer remarkable horse riding trails on the tranquil Louvain Guestfarm. An ostrich, cattle and sheep working farm nestled in the Upper Langkloof valley, halfway between George and Uniondale. Experience farm life at its best while riding on your own trusty steed, taking in the beautiful scenery with occasional wildlife sightings. Rides are suitable for children as young as 6 and riding experience is not necessary. Our horses are well trained, safe, reliable and have between 3 and 7 years experience as trail riding horses. After a ride we also offer the opportunity where you can swim with the horses (dam level permitting). Please note that bookings are essential.
Most of the country, including all coastal areas, enjoys a so-called Mediterranean climate, almost identical to much of California. Summers are hot and dry with a 7-month period of near-constant sunshine generally from April until November.
90 Min Trails – R300.00pp
Option 1- The Farm Ride:
The farm ride is a comfortable ride for both experienced and novice riders of all ages. It runs through a beautiful hidden blue gum forest and follows the road into the farm between the sheep/cattle or ostrich camps. The roads are mostly farm roads with very little obstacles and steep slopes, so trot, canter and even a gallop, for experienced riders, is definitely possible.
Option 2 -The Bush Whacker:
This is a trail for slightly more gutsy and experienced riders. This beautiful trail is a natural obstacle course in and around a riverbed in a blackwood forest. With multiple ups and downs and a couple of obstacles on the road, it’s definitely a lot of fun. We ride at our slowest riders pace but a trot, canter or gallop is almost guaranteed on this beautiful route.
2 Hour Farm & Mountain Trail – R400.00pp
A great ride for all riders of all ages. It follows both singular tracks and large roads into the farm, through camps and below the mountains; with sightings of the farm animals and even the occasional baboon or bushbuck on the road. Depending on riders experience there’s lots of space to do slow and easy trots, canters and even an exhilarating gallop with your trusty steeds. A must do for any guest that want’s to have a bit more fun on horseback.
1 Hour Cart Trail – R100.00pp
Our cart rides sets us apart from many trail companies in the area. With large weight carrier horses we can even take guests that are not quite ready to sit on horseback, on a unique drive through the farm with one of our comfortable horse carts. We can take up to 4 people per cart. Sit back, relax and enjoy the farm life only Louvain has to offer. Definitely a must for all families!
Special Occasion and Private Rides – R500.00pp
(48hr Advance booking essential).
This 3 hour ride on either horseback or cart takes you into the peaceful farm to a romantic dam underneath the majestic Outeniqua mountain. Here you and your partner can enjoy a special picnic while taking in the beautiful scenery the Langkloof valley has to offer. You can enjoy refreshments and snacks provided by us e.g. chocolates, sparkling wine, and or juice with fresh strawberries and cream (subject to availability) or you can bring your own picnic basket for all to enjoy.
What to wear:
- We have found that the most comfy gear to wear is jeans but any other long trousers or breeches will do.
- Shorts are not recommended as the saddles might chafe your thighs on the longer rides.
- Please make sure you wear closed shoes, boots or sneakers. No flip flops, high heels or bare feet.
- If it looks like it may rain/drizzle bring a raincoat or a warm jacket along. (We do have 4 seasons in 1 day – be prepared)
- Refrain from wearing jewelry or other valuables unless they fit securely as they might get lost during the ride.
What to bring:
- A few friends
- Sunscreen – no hats or caps, we provide helmets.
- Swimwear (under your clothing – there are no changing rooms during the ride – unless a big shrub will do)
- Gratuity (tip) for the guide
- An adventurous heart
- Refrain from bringing big bulky cameras and loose bags as you have to control the horse throughout the ride.
- Cellphones and action camera’s are permitted but this is entirely at your own risk.
- Secure fitting backpacks are recommended to store valuables and other items during the ride.
- Restrooms: (Public Toilet) Although Restrooms are available on the farm please plan ahead, other riders are waiting because of you, not for you.
- Refreshments: (cold drinks, bottled water and soda’s) are sold at the farm (subject to availability)
- There are NO restrooms (toilets) on the route, in an emergency please ask the guide to show you the closest tree or shrub – (this is why other riders have to bring an action camera:)
- Parking: The parking is safe and secure, close to the stables on the farm.